Initial thoughts from Game 2 of the NBA Finals, which the Los Angeles Lakers won 101-96 in overtime to take a 2-0 lead over the Orlando Magic:
- Maybe I was hung over from that wedding last night, or from watching The Hangover this afternoon, or maybe tonight’s game was sick (not in a good way) and a snoooooooozer. I honestly fell asleep in the third quarter and felt nauseous by the fourth. Luckily it went overtime to make it somewhat interesting. But for a long time there, I didn’t think anyone was going to reach 100 points.
- The Hangover was an instant classic. Go see it. (Land of the Lost, however, not so much … but at least I got to watch it on work’s dime … and now I’m starting to think Pau Gasol played one of the Sleestaks … or maybe it was Chaka … I don’t know, the throat beard throws me off.)
Tonight’s game was not a classic, be happy you didn’t pay $4,000 to see it in person â€“ 15-15 after a quarter, 20 turnovers by the Magic, who got homered to death by the officiating crew in Los Angeles, and they still managed to force overtime: that’s how bad the Lakers played — just one game after putting together one of their best games of the postseason.
- The refs might have been worse. Where’s Joey Crawford when you need him? Dwight Howard blocks a shot by sticking his hand through the rim, and it’s a no call? Courtney Lee was fouled not once but twice on crucial plays down the stretch, plays that â€“ if fouls were called â€“ could have tied up the series with three huge games looming in Orlando.
- Oh yeah, and how many times did Kobe Bryant go to the line despite not being touched? Guess he’s getting the same star treatment LeBron James got in the Eastern Conference Finals. Then again, there was that turnover the refs said occurred because the ball went out of bounds off Kobe’s knee — even though it clearly didn’t. Someone should fine the zebras for once.
- EastSidePN radio honk Colin Cowherd spent all week saying the Cavs sucked and the Orlando-L.A. matchup would be a hundred times better. I usually agree with you Colin, but that argument was the stupidest thing you’ve ever said.
- This series sucks without LeBron. Plain and simple. And you can bet Nike, Vitamin Water, and those lame puppets that look nothing like LeBron or Kobe, are crying their eyes out right now. Nice marketing.
- Bringing back Jameer Nelson after the dude sat out for more than two months is a risky move — but so is letting Skip To My Lou run the point.
- Sasha Vujacic and Jordan Farmar need nicknames. How about: “Catch & Shoot.” Those guys are gunners.
- Where’s Luke Walton?
- Hey, there’s Lamar Odom!
- After the game, I wasn’t surprised to hear Kobe say this:
“We’re about to kick it up. You better believe it. We’re close. You see what I’m saying? This is the Finals. We’re going to be ready to go.”
Really. This is the Finals? You’re going to be ready to go? You’re going to kick it up? Dude, shouldn’t that have happened like … I don’t know … maybe before tonight’s game.
But don’t worry West Coast Bias fanatics, the Lakers are going to start kicking it up here pretty quick. Wake me up when it happens.